Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Cinnamon Rolls

What could be more quintessentially Mennonite than hot, gooey, sweet, sticky, dripping with sugar cinnamon rolls? I have long been on the hunt for the Perfect Cinnamon Roll - but have yet to find it. Or at least make it. Not that I have devoted a lot of time and effort to the cause, but it seems like I ought to have a recipe on hand. So I decided, at the encouragement of a friend of mine, to try out the one in Mennonite Community Cookbook. She too grew up in Wayne County and has fond memories of the sweet rolls that women in the community made, and is looking for that elusive recipe (if anyone has one they're willing to share...I'll take it!)

I had been a little put off by the amount of time and effort they take to make, but I decided one morning around Mother's Day to go for it. They did take a decent time commitment, but it was worth it to see the dough rise and the spirals of cinnamon goodness gradually balloon into rolls. I used the butter frosting suggested in the recipe, also found in MCC:FFR.

When they came out of the oven and were spread with frosting, they were a sight to behold - but alas, they were not the Perfect Cinnamon Roll I'd been craving. And there were way too many of them for Joe to eat on our own. I divided them up and gave some away to my aunt and uncle and my parents and my neighbors, and the rest we took care of on our own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home