Thursday, March 30, 2006

Going for the 'wow' factor


Every week our office has break on Wed. morning and we take turns bringing in food for it. Healthy choices are not required...so when it was my turn this week I set off to thinking about what was something new that I hadn't made before that would have a good "wow" factor (always a must providing office break). I remembered how in high school when I would go over to one of my best friend's house, they would always have Twinkie Cake (it wasn't fair...she was still skinny!). It's like Whoopie Pies, but much better. So, I was thinking, how hard could they be?

I went online to search for Twinkie Cake recipes and found one that seemed like it would yield the results I was looking for. The recipe is basically to make a chocolate cake, cut it in half and add filling, then put the top back on. The only problem was that the recipe called for a chocolate pudding mix, which I didn't have. So, trying to be resourceful, I turned to my home congregation's cookbook that they just compiled last year, "Mennonite Heritage Recipe Collection," from East Union Mennonite in Kalona, Iowa. It had a recipe for Chocolate Pudding Cake which sounded like my solution to the problem (the recipe didn't actually ask for a pudding mix). As I made the cake, my friend Patty made the internet-suggested filling. Both ended up to be quite baffling experiences and let's just say I didn't end up taking Twinkie Cake to break.

About the cake...to begin with the portions seemed a bit small and under further investigation I realized that the pan I was wanting to use was a 3-quart and the recipe called for a 1-quart. Thankfully my math skills still mostly work (the recipe below is already tripled for all you who aren't so math proficient). Then the batter seemed to be such a small quantity and you pour several cups of sugared, chocolate water over the batter, which also seemed like something wasn't quite right. But, in the heat of the oven, the batter rose, overtook the watery mess, and made quite a lovely cake...except that (like the name of the recipe suggests) there was quite a pile of gooey chocolate pudding ont the bottom -- which just won't do for making Twinkie Cake. Strike one.

About the filling...the recipe called for "cooking" a mixture of water, sugar and flour together. Patty and I decided that a microwave would do, since the directions weren't more specific. It also called to cool that down before adding the several versions of fat (crisco and margarine I believe). Somewhere between the two of those directions not working so well...the concoction we made didn't quite measure up to the needed standard. It tasted like crisco with a little sugar, and was gloppy with the oils separated enough that it kind of looked like curdled milk. Strike two.

So, without a lovely chocolate cake that would nicely slice in half, and without good filling to put in between...our department break consisted of solely Chocolate Pudding Cake. Not quite the big "wow" factor I was hoping for.

What's up with the desire to have others think we are great cooks and make fantastic food? Imagine though if the only place you received praise was in your cooking and your quilting? Or if those were the only arenas available to receive praise, but you weren't a success at those compared to your peers? I have to say that I am so thankful that my self-worth is based on a whole lot more...though a good Twinkie Cake sure would have been nice.


Chocolate Pudding Cake
1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
3 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. milk
6 T. cooking oil
3 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. sugar
6 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/4 c. boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, 3/4 c. sugar, 3 T. cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in medium mixing bowl. Add milk, oil and vanilla, stir until smooth. Pour batter into ungreased 3-quart casserole dish. Mix 1 1/2 c. sugar and 6 T. cocoa powder in small mixing bowl. Gradually stir in boiling water. Pour evenly over batter in casserole. Bake about 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool 20-30 min.

1 Comments:

Blogger A Knutson said...

jhb, I love the pics! and despite your lackluster review of chocolate pudding cake, it looks fabulous. I agree w/ cpg that I would definitely partake.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home