Saturday, January 21, 2006

Weekend Waffles

After sleeping in on a Saturday, I thought what better way to start the day than a "new" recipe from Mary Emma? Actually, I wondered what breakfast recipes I might find in a cookbook that seems more dedicated to heavy casseroles and sugary desserts than to the modern concept of "cooking light." Since there isn't a breakfast section, I thumbed through the egg & cheese section followed by the bread section.

I zoomed in on the waffles pretty quickly. Waffles were not something we had growing up, and I was a little surprised to find some unusual recipes in this downhome cookbook (okay, so maybe Apple Waffles and Gingerbread Waffles aren't that unusual, but they are more adventurous than any other recipes I'd tried). Hubby gave his vote to Gingerbread Waffles, pg. 34.

The batter looked and smelled delicious - I'm really excited about cooking anything with molasses, which I had never really done prior to this year. The batter did seem to be a little thick compared to other waffle batters I'd made, but I decided not to tamper with it (okay, so Joe is really a recipe purist and he suggested that I leave it alone - I am more the kind to play around with something if I don't like the looks of it). The waffles turned out mighty tasty, but a little dense and cakey for my liking. Of course, they were extremely heavy and we probably won't be ready to eat again til supper time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home